Transport Systems Catapult (TSC)
The Transport Systems Catapult (TSC) is one of the seven elite technology and innovation centres established and overseen by the UK’s innovation agency, Innovate UK.TSCwascreated to drive and promote Intelligent Mobility, using new and emerging technologies to transport people and goods more smartly and efficiently.
We are helping UK businesses create products and services that meet the needs of the world’s transport systems as they respond to ever-stretching demands. TSChelps sell UK capability on the global stage, while also promoting the UK as a superb test bed for the transportation industry.
With a clear emphasis on collaboration, TSC is bringing together diverse organisations across different modes of transport, breaking down barriers and providing a unique platform for meeting the world’s most pressing transport challenges.
Main focus areas:
- The Transport Systems Catapult is working in partnership with industry, government authorities and research bodies to champion innovation in transport. TSCworks across all major forms of transport, with an emphasis on seeking solutions that can be applied to multiple modes.
- The main focus areas that TSC iscurrently working on include automated transport systems, modelling and visualisation, customer experience and information exchange.
Funding & governance:
- The Transport Systems Catapult is a not-for-profit organisation, established and overseen by the UK’s innovation agency, Innovate UK. All Catapults obtain their funds from a combination of core Innovate UK support and competitively won business and public sector funding. In addition, the Transport Systems Catapult is receiving substantial funding from the UK’s Department for Transport. When fully established, Catapults are expected to generate their funding broadly equally from three sources:
- business-funded R&D contracts, won competitively;
- collaborative applied R&D projects, funded jointly by the public and private sectors, also won competitively;
- core public funding for long-term investment in infrastructure, expertise and skills development.